Photo credit: PhillipC
I love living in Portland, Maine. I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I love it all year round. I think this area has everything I need – things to do, ocean, mountains nearby, lots of opportunity, history, natural beauty and culture.
I am excited to have a friend coming to visit me in a few weeks. She is coming for an event I am hosting and this will be her first time in Maine!
Which got me to thinking… how long does it take to fall in love with Portland, Maine?
My friend is here for a little over two days, can she be fully courted by our little city in such a short amount of time?
Weather will be a factor
A rainy long weekend could throw a wrench in the gears. I of course have a few tricks up my sleeve in case it does rain – like:
- There isn’t much better than grabbing a pint at Gritty’s on a rainy afternoon,
- over sampling at Coastal Maine Popcorn.
- We could always check out the Portland Museum of Art
- or a show at the State,
- maybe a drink at the Top of the East? or Fore Street?
I would much rather prefer a good weather weekend for her trip – to really show Maine off in all of her glory.
- We could get Adam’s boat in the water and go exploring in the bay,
- or go visit my family on Peaks Island.
- We could eat at one of the many restaurants on the water,
- catch a drive-in movie with a few friends, dogs and a cooler with chilled wine.
- We could just see the Old Port in its warm weather glory,
- head to Fort Williams
- or go play a round of Frisbee golf.
- If we are feeling fancy, we could grab a martini in the outdoor seating area of the Regency.
- Maybe there is even a Sea Dogs game that weekend?
No matter the weather, there is always shopping in Freeport and I almost guarantee a lobster bake at some point.
I travel pretty often and I talk some big game about what an awesome area I am from. I just hope I can deliver the weekend my friend is here!
In other Maine news
I was so happy to hear Bar Harbor got some serious love from Trip Advisor this week as one of the top 25 destinations in the country. Not too shabby!
Lastly, if you are upset that this post is not about Brody – here is a picture of him from today on the back porch, eating a bone.